Your Best Life, Part 1- BE Your Best.
Too often, our goals look something like this:
- I am going to lose twenty pounds.
- I am going to exercise every day for an hour.
- I am going to make $___ a year and get out of debt.
- I am going to be a better mother/wife/daughter…
It’s not that there is anything wrong with these goals, but these goals reflect the end result rather than the path to get there. Ultimately, the end result doesn’t matter because we never stay where we are. We can always lose that twenty pounds, and then gain it back. We can get that $100,000 job and lose it. The only thing we can guarantee is that life will always be changing. That’s why we have to focus on the thought behind the action rather than the end result.
So right now, just STOP. STOP framing your goals around what you “are going to do” and instead consider who you want to be. This can be a “wish list” of sorts; no one is perfect, but do consider what the “perfect” version of yourself would be. What do you want to stand for? What qualities do you want to define your character?
Now, make a list of what those qualities are, but use them in the present tense, as if you already ARE that person.
- I am kind and considerate.
- I apply myself to the fullest with everything I do.
- I lead a healthy lifestyle by eating well and exercising.
- I have quality relationships and I make a daily effort to keep them strong.
- I keep my commitments and finish what I begin.
- I am successful.
- I appreciate all that life brings me understanding that any set backs are just part of the process.
Make that list, and as you continue to think about it, go back and edit it to reflect everything you want to be. You can always modify your list. It is never set in stone.
This week, I want you to read that list every day. Just read through it when you get up, get to the office, brush your teeth, or go to bed.
Pretty soon, you might find that you are trying to make a decision, a decision which might usually trip you up a little, and then you’ll hear that list in your head, and you’ll know what to do. You will know what you have to do because these are qualities you’ve chosen for yourself, and within that list will be the answer.
What you have been in the past does not matter anymore. All you have to do is choose to reflect the person you want to be.
In order to grow and change, our thoughts have to change. We have to choose to change our thinking from “I should,” to “I already am.”
This week, I hope you have the realization that your best self lies within you. It’s not something you have to change. All you have to do is work on your thinking in order to access it, and your behavior will follow.
You CAN BE everything you want to be.